April 3, 2013

is love enough?

source
My boyfriend and I were talking about a friend of his last night. He is frustrated because this guy has everything but he doesn't seem to care. A wife who loves him, healthy kids, and a good job - but it's not enough.

He doesn't appreciate the good things in his life and constantly does things to compromise keeping them around. I guess he wasn't always this way but it has gotten worse over the years. Though I am not friends with this person it makes me sad that the love in his life wasn't enough.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, about how you can be so in love with someone but it doesn't mean it's enough to stay together and make it work. I was so in love with my college boyfriend that it took three years to get over him. This was the first person I have ever loved and we were still in love when we decided to end things because of the distance. Was it not meant to be? Or was love just not enough?

For those of you who know me you know I am a big proponent of love. I love love and I believe in it with all my heart. But I'm also sometimes wonder if love is enough to sustain a relationship? If there are things like distance, family issues, or differing opinions that create problems and make it so things don't work out. I don't know the answer because I am still figuring things out myself, but I like to think that love is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment